Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 14:06:56 +1000
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Sergey <serge69@nym.alias.net>, Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] How stable is FreeBSD 3.X ?

It seems to me there are three ways new BSD users can approach this list (or
the newsgroup) if they have a problem.

1) They could read the documentation, and try and solve it themselves, and
then perhaps post something like:
	Hi.
	I installed FreeBSD 3.1 from the CD on my system (a Frobozz 34
	Motherboard, a KickHertz 73 processor and a blitblatter 28
	video card), and every few days it reboots with a message
		panic: locking against myself
	What can I do?

Almost certainly they would receive a polite and useful response, along the
lines of:
	This is a known problem and is fixed in the -STABLE branch.  Update
	your system according to the instructions in the handbook.

2) They could just post anyway, without reading the documentation, perhaps
like:
	My FreeBSD system keeps rebooting.  What's wrong?
which is likely to receive a much testier response, because there is no
evidence that they have done any reading on their own, and this request is
completely without usable information.

3) They could come out all guns blazing, like:
	What sort of idiots are you?  I've installed this FreeBSD rubbish and
	it reboots all the time!  What sort of moron calls this a RELEASE?

Can you guess what sort of response this will generate?

Can you guess which of these three approaches the original poster to this
thread took?

Jordan: Perhaps you could add a section to the ABOUT.TXT file to make it even
more explicit the sort of information that makes for a useful trouble report.