Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 11:09:45 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in
Cc:        arun@sharmas.dhs.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reiser: BSD cliques

From: Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 19:52:00 +0200

> Do we need to deal with PRs for old releases (which seem to be the
> majority out there)?  It has happened to me on other software projects

Well, we should make sure they're still applicable to the current
release, yes.  Obviously we don't need to go back and test them
retroactively with 2.2.x if that's what it was filed against, but we
should at least make sure we're not still suffering from some bug
filed over 2 years ago.

> and were never closed.  Would it be useful for someone to go through
> the PRs, and if it's on 2.2.8 or something, mail the original sender
> to confirm whether this is still an issue?

That'd be another way of going about it, yes.  Usually the reviewer
simply tests to see if the bug is still present in current releases,
but if you want to make the submitter do the legwork, that's fine too
and often the only way of doing it when the problem involves some
specific and unique bit of hardware.

> The other thing is to weed out duplicate PRs -- different reports
> describing essentially the same problem.  I have seen this in FreeBSD
> as well as other projects.

That is always a valuable service, yes!

In either case, if you're not a committer but still want to
communicate summary information about duplicate/outdated PRs on a
periodic basis to developers@freebsd.org, that would be a very
useful service.

- Jordan