Date:      Thu, 7 Apr 2005 10:49:25 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Bruno Ducrot <ducrot@poupinou.org>
Subject:   Re: My experience with cpufreq in -STABLE

--nextPart1592994.Ac9TFyuyFi

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 23:31, Bruno Ducrot wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 08:49:15AM +0200, Frank Behrens wrote:
> > Bruno Ducrot <ducrot@poupinou.org> wrote on 4 Apr 2005 19:17:
> > > You may start looking at src/usr.sbin/powerd in -current, and improve
> > > it a bit?  The actual algorithm used in powerd may need some rework
> > > IMHO.
> >
> > Which problems do you see?
>
> powerd use an exponentional decrease of the frequency.  This might be
> not stable for certain workload.

The algorithm used by the acpi_ppc module semed quite good to me when I use=
d=20
it (before the frequency stuff was committed).
http://www.spa.is.uec.ac.jp/~nfukuda/software/index.html

I have been meaning to get around to adding it to powerd.. For the moment I=
=20
just added an option to powerd to do a linear backoff instead which seems=20
smoother to me since I only had a limited number of steps (although I just=
=20
discovered if I load cpufreq.ko I get a lot more.. doh.. thought I'd alread=
y=20
done that :)

> http://www-mtl.mit.edu/research/icsystems/pubs/conferences/2001/sinha_vls=
i2
>001.pdf
>
> and it seems it's maybe not the better one, though (search 'MAW', its
> exactly what you suggest).

That paper is interesting reading :)

> > 2. The default polling time of 500 ms seems to be very short. It can
> > increased to several seconds.
>
> Problem if you increase teh polling intervall is that you can't be sure
> that the system can detect in time when going up.

I don't think increasing the poll interval is a good idea - it means your=20
system will respond slowly to workload changes. However you could use=20
filtered averages (a la that paper) to reduce the number of speed changes.

One thing that does worry me about having a userland daemon control the spe=
ed=20
is that if it drops down to a really low speed after some idle time it coul=
d=20
take a very long time to get some CPU time. Not sure if it's a real problem=
=20
yet though.

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."