Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 11:45:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bzdik BSD <bzdik@yahoo.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crap OS X

--- Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be> wrote:
> they screw up MacOS X, they're toast.  I've got tens of thousands of
> dollars of hardware and software invested in MacOS, but I've been
> frustrated enough with them for enough years that I think I'll pretty
>
> much toss it all away if Apple doesn't get this right.

My situation as well. OTOH it payed off thousand times for me. In over
decade with Macs I never read a manual. It *was* totally different
cultural environment. I had this FileMaker Pro that was a cutie to deal
with. Even creating rules and formulae was so intuitive that it was a
joy to work with it. Geeks are not needed there! Liberation was close
;)
Then the Cupertiono HQ killed cloners, soon application developers
began leaving one by one. I had fewer choices of accounting software
and uncertainty of business continuity started to be so certain.

There used to be good times when AOL was just a friendly and mostly Mac
board where a non-geek could get familiar with new and cool slang words
like "ftp", "gopher", "veronica, baby" and Web was some novel
curiosity.
They are gone.

We just had this generational flash-back that manifested itself in the
market place rather nicely. Besides market crash, there was a short
living surge in VolksWagen Beetle(slightly different) sales,
Macs(slightly different), Carlo Sanatana (slightly older), Unix
(slightly Linuxed),etc. In light of this, writing for Salon.com was a
big mistake.
Are they still in business? It should have been Playboy. This could
give any Unix for any platform very sexy image. Like "Yeah..Right..."

The flashback has passed, and the market remains to be the ultimate
judge working in a continuous fashion. Apple is not even a leader in
dying business: box making.
the thing that is very suspect is that VAX people did not crawl out...
Servers are nice, but the usability by end-user is what I need. Perl
strings calculating some astro phases can be called fully fledged ports
and we could claim we have over 7000 of them, but small stuff like The
Bat!, Eudora, YA NewsWatcher, MT NewsWatcher win the end-user. And not
all of them are commercial either.
Certainly, some people have bigger requirements and use pine or even
Emacs OS. And an elitist will have a fancy glass of armagnac while
making sunset calculations for a given coordinate at a given date
sitting in front of his computer by a fireplace.

Just threading without infringing yet enjoying.