Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 13:53:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Marca Registrada <inf@nyef.res.cmu.edu>
Cc:        hackers list FreeBSD <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-afs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Coda FS: FBSD port done!, but development favors Linux

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Marca Registrada wrote:

>  I'm also extremely interested in using Coda on FreeBSD, and have offered
> as much help as I can to Peter Braam, but CMU keeps their students fairly
> busy ;), so the amount of actual codework I can put forth is rather
> limited.  I'm still waiting for the release of the FreeBSD code so I can
> least get started playing with it.

I second that on the busy. :)  I am about to add the coda client to one of
my test machines.  I suspect that the FreeBSD release is just a week or
two away -- there have been some problems with the BSD port of RVM -
Recoverable Virtual Memory (Satyanarayanan - ACM Transactions on Computer
Systems, Feb 1994, Vol 12, No. 1, pp. 33-57).  I believe these will be
cleared up shortly.  These problems largely affect the server code, not
the client.  Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions -- a
CMU, my number is x2-2696.

I will be installing the client on some of our test machines early next
week when I get back from Massachussets.  The Coda project test machines I
have worked on seem quite stable.

>  The current Coda release that I know of for FreeBSD is supposed to be for
> -stable, so my first project may be to port it to -current (although I've
> heard this may be difficult), and it would be easier for me to make light
> contributions from time to time to do whatever is necessary when the
> -stable-patched are unworkable for -current.

The release anticipated for the next week or two is based on
2.2.5-RELEASE.  This decision was made on the basis of the stability of
the vm interface in -current a month or two ago.  Also based on the
similiarity to the NetBSD port also to be released shortly.  My
recommendation to Peter as of last week was that we go ahead with a
-current port ASAP.  He agreed that this was a priority.  I would
anticipate progress in this area very soon.

All of my development work with the Auth server has been based on -current
because of the Kth kerberos support there.  While my code will certainly
work on all of the other platforms/versions, I have no plans to switch
my development machines. :)

> I'm totally with you on wanting to get Coda going strong on FreeBSD, and
> will lend all the free coding time I have.

Some of my free coding time already goes to this -- most of my paid
programming time, on the other hand, goes into Coda security issues.
Since I've only been with the project for a month or so, it may be a few
revisions before my work begins to show up :).

> As an aside, you also mentioned AFS.  Has that been progressign at all on
> the FreeBSD front?  I havn't heard anything but light rustle about AFS.

I recommend the freebsd-afs mailing list -- there is not much traffic just
now, but given recent discussion of Coda, I suspect things will be moving
along. :)

The main problem with AFS for most of us is licensing.  I, myself, don't
have AFS source code lying around.  On the other hand, given that I work
for Coda, this is just as well.

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University http://www.cmu.edu/
SafePort Network Services  http://www.safeport.com/