Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 1997 17:09:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      michael@blueneptune.com
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: news server source for 95/NT

Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

> I'm not at all
> interested in going to the old scheme of buying a C compiler and many
> user licenses in addition to the OS.

I guess my age is showing a bit... to me, the "old scheme" is the bygone
era of purchasing Unix, and getting a bundled C compiler and full
multi-user support.  The skies dimmed when some companies started making
the base Unix product a 1-user only system, and selling you multi-user
licenses.  Then came the Truly Dark Days when Sun decided to unbundle
the C compiler, and make more money by selling it separately, a practice
that swept through the industry like a plague.  Then this upstart
Microsoft came into the picture, and proved that you don't need a
great product, just great marketing.  Now we're hopefully in the Dawn
of a New Age of computing, with a growing selection of OS's, compilers
and other tools that are effectively free, in some ways like the
"old days" -I- remember, only better yet in many important ways (such
as Unix itself being free).

[Ok, so I oversimplify more than just a tad...  ;-)]

--
Michael Bryan
michael@blueneptune.com