Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 2020 20:23:20 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Mike Remski <mremski@comcast.net>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ars Technica article on FreeBSD new user experience

Mike Remski wrote:=0A=
>On Thursday, April 9, 2020 5:39:45 PM EDT, Rick Macklem wrote:=0A=
>> Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org> wrote:=0A=
>>> Jim Salter has an article in Ars Technica discussing his experience=0A=
>>> with FreeBSD 12.1 as a desktop:=0A=
>>> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/not-actually-linux-distro-revie=
w-freebsd-12-1-release/=0A=
>>>=0A=
>>> There are some points in there that might involve misunderstanding,=0A=
>>> but there are also a number of real issues raised about the experience =
...=0A=
>> Since this is a public mailing list, I'll repost here...=0A=
>>=0A=
>> One thought here that I'll throw out (I have no idea if others=0A=
>> have suggested=0A=
>> this before)=85=0A=
>> What about creating a separate release for desktops/laptops that install=
s=0A=
>> X Windows etc from a simple installer "out of the box"?=0A=
>> --> To keep it simple, don't try to support all hardware, just=0A=
>> stuff that is widely=0A=
>>       available and already well supported by the drivers in FreeBSD.=0A=
>>       Obviously amd64 only plus a few widely available display=0A=
>> chip sets that work=0A=
>>       well, etc and so on...=0A=
>>=0A=
>> If it doesn't support the hardware someone has, then they can go the reg=
ular=0A=
>> release/install route. (It would be nice to maintain an up to=0A=
>> date list of what=0A=
>> hardware it supports, but it might be easier to just have it=0A=
>> start up live CD=0A=
>> style and then see if the hardware it needs is there.=0A=
>> --> Sorry, can't do this display chipset to that sound chip or...=0A=
>>=0A=
>> Just an idea, rick=0A=
>> ps: I am not volunteering to help do this. I run FreeBSD on laptop/deskt=
op=0A=
>>       systems, but bare bones. No X Windows...=0A=
>=0A=
>Something like what old PCBSD did?  How about FuryBSD as a starting point?=
=0A=
>Joe Maloney is layering either XFCE or KDE (2 different ISO/install media)=
=0A=
>on top of a FreeBSD install, so out of the box, the install gives you=0A=
>FreeBSD with either XFCE or KDE.=0A=
Yes. I'll admit I didn't know FuryBSD existed until now, but if the web pag=
e is=0A=
accurate, it would be fine.=0A=
=0A=
Maybe all that should be done is a reference to it on FreeBSD's web page.=
=0A=
"If you are new to FreeBSD and want a desktop system, you could try..."=0A=
FreeNAS should be mentioned as well, for people who want a NAS server, imho=
.=0A=
=0A=
Although I said a new FreeBSD release, I don't see why it needs to be done =
by=0A=
the FreeBSD project itself, just that I didn't realize others were currentl=
y doing this.=0A=
=0A=
Maybe someone should ask the author of this article to try FuryBSD?=0A=
=0A=
>Disclaimer:  I've been using FreeBSD with X as a daily driver for a long=
=0A=
>time and honestly never found it that difficult to set up.  Hardest was=0A=
>when everything started to need the drm-kmod bits, but once I understood=
=0A=
>what I needed to do, it's not been an issue.=0A=
I feel about the same w.r.t. NFS servers.=0A=
However, I've known good technical people who just haven't used FreeBSD=0A=
who have found FreeNAS worked just fine whereas setting up a server using=
=0A=
a FreeBSD release didn't work for them.=0A=
=0A=
rick=0A=
=0A=