Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 11:29:14 -0400
From:      "SILVER, MICHAEL A" <MSILVER@scana.com>
To:        "'bblack@allstor-sw.co.uk'" <bblack@allstor-sw.co.uk>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD - Windows '98 performance

There are some configuration options for samba when accessing it via windows
computers.  I would think that linux and FBSD would be about the same
though.  I saw a big jump in speed once I made the changes.

It's also possible that your FBSD box is configured incorrectly, since you
have RAID etc.  It would be unfair to compare to machines that don't have
this same configuration, but I don't think different hardware would account
for an 8 fold increase in speed.

I would try making the optimizations and cross your fingers.  You may also
want to upgrade to the latest version of samba.

...Michael...