Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 21:15:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] How stable is FreeBSD 3.X ?

On Tue, 25 May 1999, Geff Hanoian wrote:
> I must say, that is the best post I've seen yet.  I totally agree.  We
> need to be constructive.  To flame someone for flaming to the list is
> pointless.  If someone posts such a post, why couldn't, especially
> someone on the development team, just say, "Hey, we are concerned with
> fixing problems.  Can you please post some details and we can help you
> out?"  Instead of starting off with why the person's post is wrong, and
> what they screwed up.  The person had a problem, it might, just
> possibly be a coding problem.  So maybe we as a community should listen
> to users.  Yes I'd prefer the user originally phrase it properly too,
> but it's not a perfect world.  Either part of converting everyone to
> RedHunk Linux, or part of the solution?

Let's see if I got this straight, now. On one hand, you've got a bunch
talented software developers which is by nature an egotistical breed.
This particular bunch has developed and then *given away* one of the
of the most stable OS's around - an act which generally indicates that
they are doing it for the ego boo from it. On the other hand you have
someone who gives every appearance of being clueless, in that they
haven't read the available documentation. This person posts something
that is indistinguishable from flame bait insulting something the
first group gave away asking nothing, and probably expecting nothing
more than a simple thank you.

And you expect them to respond to these taunts by asking for more of
the same?

I don't know anything about the person with a problem. Given his
contribution to this group, losing him to Linux is a loss for both
groups. On the other hand, repeated behavior of that kind -
content-free insults about something you've sweated blood over - is a
good way to make people stop giving away their labors. After all, they
do it for *themselves*, and to help others. If they decide that the
majority of "others" don't want, or appreciate that effort - they'll
stop making it available to others.

This doesn't mean never saying a bad word about the product. It *does*
mean making sure you tell them when you think they've done a good job
(because the vast majority *won't*, and they deserve to hear it). Most
importantly, it means realizing that when you're asking for a change
or fix, you're asking for a *favor*, and approaching it that
way. Unlike a commercial vendor, it's perfectly reasonable for the
FreeBSD team to answer whining of the "why don't you do it my way"
with "we don't want to - you've got the tools, you do it your way."
Some people take them up on it - leading to NetBSD, OpenBSD, etc.

	<mike