Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:19:33 -0700
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS port Number, Protocol

* Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. (kdk@daleco.biz) [020424 10:09]:
> Thanks, I'll look into it, but everybody except
> AT&T says my DNS is "jolly good".  (Pardon the
> dumb Yank for throwing that at 'ya.)  The specific problem is that "email"
> from my cellphone to daleco.biz
> returns undeliverable, immediately.
>
> The latest theory is that AT&T wireless does a
> ping to determine whether or not a domain exists,
> and since I've got that blocked, they write me
> off their own lists......"never a dull moment," I
> guess.
>
> Thanks for the assist.....
>
> Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P.

I am 100% sure that ATT wireless doesn't do this. That would be an
incredibly strange (and non-standard) behavior anyway. Sounds a bit far
fetched.

I would start at the beginning. Have you eliminated smtp as the cause of the
issue? Are your MX records up to snuff (and RFC). Does your mail server
recieve any attempted deliveries from ATT? Would you care to send the full
text of the undeliverable message (scrubbed)?

This isn't entirely a FreeBSD issue, so if folks want to move this off list
I'll give you a hand anyway.

--
Benjamin Krueger

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about."
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)