Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 01:05:23 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
To:        Daniel Berlin <root@danberlin.resnet.rochester.edu>
Cc:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WARNING WILL ROBINSON! Risk of severe filesystem damage suspected

Ok, now I really don't get it.

My "build" machine here has three drives on it.

It has had three drives on it for a long, long time.

The /usr/obj drive gets severely damaged during a "make world".

The others do not.

It is almost like /usr/obj is mounted async (but its not) and then the
unmount is not sync'ing the disk before it dismounts it.  Also, the drive is
getting hosed DURING the build, because the cores that I'm getting are
clearly due to damaged object files during the link process (I can rebuild
the specific directory that faults, and it stops doing it).

Also, I got a BUNCH of VM errors earlier this evening.

I'm confused.  I'm going to try to reproduce this some more - a kernel from
last night (~2200), with CAM in it, doesn't produce the seg faults or the
failures.  That kernel has John Dyson's patches in it, but not the change to
vfs_cluster.c which was committed today.

Unfortunately, my attempt to back out the vfs_cluster.c change didn't do
anything... so now I'm rather confused.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV