Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 17:39:48 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>, gh <grasshacker@linkfast.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why are people against GNU? WAS Re: 5.0 already?

On Sat, 13 May 2000, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

[snip]

> Sure one may not agree with a lot of what RMS says, but there's a lot
> of crap spoken about him in the FreeBSD world which I'm not going to
> get into a flamewar about this time.  If you want to know what he
> thinks, read his writings.  Read his recent Slashdot interview. You
> may hate everything he says but you can't call him a communist unless
> you have no idea what he's about or what communism is about.

Well, consider that a lot of people consider other people similarily
'fashists'. The both have come to be general 'names' to call people, only
very loosely attached to the original meaning. The problem with the f and
c words are that some people (me included) have real strong negative
feelings about people denoted by the original meanings and easily get
offended, something really ungraspable for the rest 8-)

[snip]

> > Of course that's OK! There's no double moral in it.
>
> Absolutely.  I detest the moral superiority and holier-than-thou
> attitude of many of the people in the FreeBSD project but I use the
> system anyway.  I use linux too, it's not a "one or the other" thing.
> Use what suits you.

All too true. All camps I have seen have their 'holier-than-thou'
paladins, and that most probably can't be helped.