Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 13:04:55 +0800
From:      AlleyOop <ml@alleyoop.m8.ntu.edu.tw>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: every day kernel panic in "setlock"

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 12:17:01PM +0800, AlleyOop wrote:
> Hi all:
>   Excuse me if here is the wrong place to report this kind question.
>
>     Our machine is dual P3-750 with 2.5 GB RAM,
>   running bbsd for about 3000-4000 on-line in the same time.
>   Meanwhile , there will be over 4000 process .
> options         NMBCLUSTERS=20480
> options         PMAP_SHPGPERPROC=720
> options         SHMMAXPGS=8192
> options         SHMALL=8192
> options         VM_KMEM_SIZE_MAX="(180*1024*1024)"
After read more about the LINT and some  note in
/sys/vm/vm_pageout.c
It seems the panic occurs because the heavy use with SHM
thus we tune the MIB vm.v_free* mentioned in LINT.
and change the value of (vm.v_free_target,vm.v_free_min,vm.v_free_reserved)
to double.
and I also change vm.defer_swapspace_pageouts -> 1

It seems all ok now , and yesterday night , even though there are 4200
people on-line , our FreeBSD box runs well and stable.

There is still a mmm severe or trivial problem .
If we use sysctl -a to show MIB , FreeBSD crashed immediately.
and the panic message show the "current process" is sysctl.
What is the problem of that ?

Regards,
	Alleyoop.