Date:      Tue, 29 May 2007 18:56:14 +0800
From:      LI Xin <delphij@delphij.net>
To:        Volker <volker@vwsoft.com>,  stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: release cycle

--------------enig0ECF52FC5CC768EFC2C5ED16

Hi, Erik,

Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 11:45:15AM +0200, Volker wrote:
[...]
>> I know there's a release cycle for 7-CURRENT planned next June but
>> IMHO it can be delayed for some weeks.
>>
>> What does the core and releng team think? It might do good.
>=20
> A quick release cycle for a release from -STABLE sounds like a bad idea=
=2E
> There have been enough new things that have gone into the 6-STABLE bran=
ch
> that a full release cycle seems warranted.

I would say that just tagging -STABLE tree as "RELEASE" is a very bad
idea, however, it would not be too bad if we take RELENG_6_2 as a
codebase and add the following bugfixes:

 - zonelim fixes (very helpful for heavy loaded systems).
 - some socket locking fixes (settled for a long time).
 - driver updates, like RAID driver bugfixes.

Therefore, from src/'s view, I think it would not be too bad to make a
point release that merges some (well tested) bugfixes in, or at least,
provide a patchset as an errata for 6.2-R.

> I also think that it would be a bad idea to create *any* new release un=
til
> after the X.org upgrade has settled down - it has not done that quite y=
et
> as far as I can tell.

I agree.  What's more, freezing the ports/ tree often does not sound
quite appealing :-)

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,
--=20