Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 07:57:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Frank Terhaar-Yonkers <fty@cisco.com>
To:        tups@novobcs.ee
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: smtp "polling" thru a firewall

I understand.  But in my case I cannot do the MXing on the firewall
machine.  It's a "political" decision.  So, the only way to get mail
into the machine inside the FW is to open a socket connection from
inside, which then allows two way communication with an smtp server
anywhere on the outside.

thanks - Frank

 >> I've a situation where a domain sits behind a firewall.  I'd
 >> like to set
 >> up a "polling" situation so the mail server inside the FW can
 >> grab mail
 >> from the MX'd server outside the firewall.  It appears that
 >> "fetchmail"
 >> may do this with newer sendmails that are configured to use
 >> ESMTP.  The
 >> other problem is the IP # that the inside server has will be dynamic
 >> (assigned by the firewall) WRT the outside.  It seems this will cause
 >> validation problems as there will be no DNS mapping.
 >
 >In our Company, MS Exchange server stands inside behind FBSD firewall.
 >FBSD machine is MX for our domain, and its /etc/mailertable has entry:
 >
 >novobcs.ee		smtp:[exchange.novobcs.ee]
 >
 >exchange.novobcs.ee is declared by dns as IP for our inside exchange machine
 >It may be 192.168.x.x or whatever
 >
 >If anyone sends email for our domain, it will be first sent to firewall
 >which is MX , and then firewall will send it directly to inside machine

Frank Terhaar-Yonkers
Cisco Systems, Inc.
TISU/NSITE
7025 Kit Creek Road  PO Box 14987
Research Triangle Park,  North Carolina  27709
fty@cisco.com   voice(919)472-2101 fx(919)472-5600