Date:      Tue, 02 May 2000 07:48:55 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Forrest Aldrich <forrie@navipath.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Subject:   Re: db 1.85 --> 2.x or 3.x?

Forrest Aldrich wrote:
> I've been curious about this.  Would someone clarify what in this
> license prevents FreeBSD from including it, at some level?

The problem is that we export the DB API from libc, and if anything uses
the DB interface for a local application they'd be subject to the license
below.

Also, since DB 1.x is part of libc (including the getpwent() stuff for
/etc/pwd.db etc), we're stuck with that file format as all binaries
linked with that (or older libc major versions) versions of libc will not
be able to lookup usernames if we change to 2.x.  We could probably have
a special hidden internal version of db 1.x to use within libc though.
db 2.x+ is *way* too big to put in libc IMHO.

For what it's worth, we do include it at "some level" - see ports/databases/
db.. This is safely out of the way of people using it accidently.

> _F
>

> Sleepycat Software Product Licensing
>
> Berkeley DB is an Open Sourcetm product, and complete source code is availabl
    e from our Web site.

> If you build an application that you do not redistribute outside of your site
    , or if you build an application and your source code is freely
> available and redistributable by others, you may use Berkeley DB at no charge
    . You must, of course, abide by the terms of the copyrights
> that apply to the Berkeley DB software.
>
> If you redistribute your application outside of your site and your source cod
    e is not freely available and redistributable by others, then you
> require a commercial license from Sleepycat Software. Contact us for commerci
    al licensing terms and pricing.

Cheers,
-Peter