Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 21:13:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone using ccd (FreeBSD disk striper) for news

On Thu, 22 Aug 1996, Joe Greco wrote:
> Avoid Linux unless you are prepared to play the Incompatibility Game and
> Kernel-Of-The-Day Game.

I wouldn't generalize that much.  Check out 'hunter.premier.net' in the
Freenix1000.

Linux box with a DPT SmartRAID controller.

And its only on a single T1 (so was howland.reston)

Linux can kick a fair amount of ass as a newsserver.  I'm hoping to get
the chance to push a FreeBSD box to the same level though.

We're running our spool on the CCD right now, but the DPT SmartRAID stuff
would be killer.  Since I don't directly admin news, the admin that does
will probably end up building a Linux box so that the DPT support will be
there.  Unless FreeBSD drivers suddenly appear...

The uncertainty about the MMAP stuff for INN bothers me a bit too...

Oh, CCD clue.  Stripe size of 2048 is um... st00pid.  We were, um... er...
testing! thats it.  *grin*

Have a good one.

(BTW, anyone looking to exchange feeds?  < 150ms to news.intersurf.net
prefered.  Innfeed sites a plus.)

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|