Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 21:45:19 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Jeffrey Bernt" <bernt@usa.net>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.0

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998 13:13:31 -0700, Jeffrey Bernt wrote:

>Hi. Let me get this straight, Fbsd 3.0 is supposed to be out today (Oct
>15th) but 2.2.8 is due out next month? (3.0 isn't available, just the beta)
>if someone can clarify this for me, that would be great.

Why the confusion??

3.0 has been in Beta for one month and was schedules to be RELEASED
today, but shouldn't be used for "production" machines until it has a
STABLE branch AND you've verified thru your own testing that it is
stable enough for your purposes.

2.2.8 is the last RELEASE of 2.2.X and is where the STABLE branch will
lead. This RELEASE is for people that are running "production" servers,
and can't afford to be on the BLEEDING edge.

If you're running FreeBSD on a non-production machine (or
non-critical), feel free to load 3.0 on it.  But most of us will wait
till it's been checked out for awhile by people that MUST have the
functionality it provides.  I'm anxious, but patient.

If I am incorrect about any of this, I appreciate/prefer gentle
corrections ;o)
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.