Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 17:31:57 -0500
From:      Chris Snell <chris@compete.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu
Subject:   SysKonnect full-duplex problems

Hi,

We're having problems getting our SysKonnect cards to function in
full-duplex mode under FreeBSD on our gigabit ethernet environment.  The
switch port, on an Extreme Networks 7i, is set to auto-negotiate at
1000Mbit.  Here's the problem:  If we boot the systems up without any media
options set, ifconfig reports them as running at 1000Mbit in half-duplex
mode and the switch reports them to be in full-duplex mode.  Nevertheless,
they *do* function this way, though performance is less than
expected.  However, if we instruct ifconfig to configure them in
full-duplex mode, they do not function at all.   When the cards are set in
full-duplex, we don't even get a link light and the switch does not
register a link, either.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Here's our setup:

FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE, kernel-land is tracking -STABLE up to 2:00pm EST
today.  user-land is at 4.2-STABLE release.

skc0: <SysKonnect Gigabit Ethernet> port 0x2800-0x28ff mem
0xf4000000-0xf4003fff irq 16 at device 16.0 on pci0
skc0: SysKonnect SK-NET Gigabit Ethernet Adapter SK-9843 SX
sk0: <XaQti Corp. XMAC II> on skc0
sk0: Ethernet address: 00:00:5a:99:53:80

CPU: Pentium III/Pentium III Xeon/Celeron (796.54-MHz 686-class CPU)

Extreme Summit 7i firmware info:
Image  :  Extremeware Version 6.1.5 (Build 20)  by Release_Master  Sat
09/23/2000  6:56p

thanks in advance,

Chris