Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 09:34:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: winbook & FreeBSD

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Joseph Scott wrote:

> Ludwig Pummer wrote:
> > Video: ATI 3D Rage LT Pro
> > It works. I have an Asus/Chembook F7400 with the same video chip. I used
> > one of the Mach64/Rage card settings (if you pick the wrong one, X will
> > crash on initialization) in xf86config, killed all modelines except for
> > the 60Hz ones, and it works like a dream.
>
> 	Any problems with certain res's?  I'd like to run it at 1024x768 since
> we'll be getting one of the bigger 14.1" screens no matter which laptop
> we end up buying.

No problem for me. I run it almost exclusively at 1024x768 x [16,24]bpp.
It just took a few tries with xf86config to pick the proper high-res
monitor and tweak the monitor's sync ranges to only allow for 60Hz video
modes. And then I removed the higher refresh range modelines, just to be
on the safe side. I found that an XF86Config generated with XF86Setup (or
xf86setup?) didn't have the long list of available modelines. Also, the
Mach64 server didn't handle the normal DefaultColorDepth option in the
config file, so I whipped up a little 'startx' script of my own that runs
the real startx with the proper command line options.

> > Modem:
> > The Winbook drivers page for the XL2 says the modem is an LT WinModem.
> > _WinModem_. 'nuff said.
>
> 	Now that stinks!  Part of the idea of having the laptop was being able
> to dial in while away.  Do you have any recommendations for a PC Card
> Modem?

Sorry, I've never needed to use a PCMCIA modem under FreeBSD. Way back
when I tried (2.2.6-R with PAO) I couldn't get the serial port to work
properly and gave up since it wasn't important. Any PCMCIA
non-Winmodem modem you find should work just fine. If you want a list of
modems that run out-of-the-box, use CVSwep and look at
/etc/pccard.conf.sample

> > Sound:
> > This ESS Maestro is a PCI sound chip, as far as I have been able to figure
> > out (my laptop has the same sound chip). That means that sound support
> > will be a long ways away. However, I haven't taken a look at commercial
> > sound support, so you may or may not be able to get sound working for a
> > price.
>
> 	I've got a PCI sound card in my box here at work, after applying the
> ES1371 patch I don't have any problems with it, listening to it right
> now.  Using the pcm driver ( not the new one, stock 3.2R )

The ESS is not an ES1371. Hence, it doesn't work with stock 3.2R or
3.2R+PAO.

> Joseph Scott
> joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu
> Office Of Water Programs - CSU Sacramento

Hey! I'll be up at UC Davis in less than 3 weeks (just what Davis needs,
more Computer Science majors :) )

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com )