Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 2004 17:00:43 -0600
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Andrew Houghton <aah@roarmouse.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: native JDK on Dragonfly BSD

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 12:26:51PM -0700, Andrew Houghton wrote:
> I've been playing around with DragonFly BSD for a few weeks, and thought
> I'd try compiling a native JDK from ports.  Surprisingly enough (more on
> that later) almost everything seems to work.  Admittedly, I'm not doing
> deep testing -- but the plugin, the JVM, and javac have handled
> everything I've thrown at them, including IntelliJ IDEA, various web
> applications, and things like HPJmeter.
>
> The one place I *am* running into problems is with Java Web Start.  When
> I try starting it I get:
>
>  Java Web Start splash screen process exiting .....
>  Bad installation. No JRE found in configuration file: No such file
>  or directory

I assume that it works on FreeBSD?  I must admit I've never tried it.

> I traced this message down to line 243 of
> /deploy/src/javaws/src/share/native/launcher.c; the helpful comment on
> line 241 or so says "This should never happen."
>
> The closest bug report I found was from Evan Easton:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-java/2003-December/001403.html
>
> using his script I was able to get javaws to start, but i still can't
> get any of the demo apps to actually run.

What errors do they produce?

> Now, looking at the patchset there's no mention of DragonFly (not
> surprisingly).  The reason I was surprised that most things work is that
> the patch seems to be making many choices based on system type, and it's
> just not clear whether DragonFly defines anything close to the expected
> system types.

I would guess that DragonFly still defines __FreeBSD__ (probably as 4) so
tha tmost things will just work.

> So, I'm poking through the patchset and seeing what I can do, but
> someone actually familiar with this stuff (i.e., Greg or Alexey) could
> do this about a million times faster than I could, I think..

Assuming we had a DragonFly system, maybe so :).

> Is there any chance of getting DragonFly into the list of "officially"
> supported systems for the native JDK?

Yes.  The easiest way is to do what you're doing and submit patches
when you're done.  All other ways involve waiting till someone else
does it :).

I'll try and have a quick look if I get a chance and let you know if I
see anything obvious, but its going to be a little hard without a DragonFly
system to test on.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org