Date:      Tue, 10 Jan 1995 10:26:37 -0600
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   The routes from hell

Under 2.0-RELEASE, some sockets never went away even though the process to
which they were attached was terminated.

So I decided to update to a -current (as of last evening)
The socket problem seems to have been cured, but it is now replaced by an
ever increasing route table.

I am running the new kernel and recompiled binaries. (Most of a "make world")

Whenever the default route is chosen, a route to the particular destination
is added and it never seems to go away.
>From netstat:

default          ISDN               UGSc        2     1406  ed0
slip-23-5.ots.ut ISDN               UGHW        2     1669  ed0
cs.utexas.edu    ISDN               UGHW3       0      734  ed0

The second entry is for an active socket. The last is representative of the
many that have been closed for some time.

If I do a `route -n flush`, the table gets cleaned out. (I have to re-add
the default). If I let it go for too long, the system wedged.

Any suggestions?