Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 1996 15:07:41 +0200
From:      Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, hsu@freefall.freebsd.org (Jeffrey Hsu), gpalmer@freefall.freebsd.org, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape install of FreeBSD

> > >   > specifically, Jordan and I talked a bit about using a WWW browser and
> > >   > CGI scripts to create the configuration manager for post-install stuff
> > >   > like adding/deleting users, changing /etc/sysconfig, etc.
> > >
> > > I meant the install install, that is, click a button from Netscape
> > > running in Windows or Linux and it goes off and partitions your drive,
> > > downloads FreeBSD, installs it, sets up the boot manager, asks you some
> > > questions and writes the appropriate files onto the newly created BSD ufs,
> > > then reboots.
> > >
> > > This is an example of network software distribution which everyone seems
> > > to want to do with the web.
> >
> > This is hard.
> >
> > It's hard because thee is no standard extension for UNIX executables,
>
> I don't think this is so much an issue.
>
> You'll recall awhile back that I was calling for a general-purpose
> library that would provide an "embedable HTTP server" for an
> application, allowing you to specify your "HTML" in some higher-level
> syntax that provided for genuine callbacks and such without having to
> deal with any of the thoroughly disgusting form and entry field hacks.
> You'd just say which entities you wanted in each document or
> interaction screen and the library would interact with the HTTP port
> like any other server, processing incoming requests and turning them
> into standardised callbacks.

I spotted a small library that will do this (embed an HTTP server in your
application), and the copyright is BSD-ish.

paws	http://www.inria.fr/koala/phk.html

> The reason I stopped dreaming about this and decided to punt the whole
> idea was that I disliked the idea of using only the standard HTML
> objects (text, entry fields, buttons, and so on) for doing my
> interfaces.  How would I display the current disk layout, for example?
> As rows of "X"'s or something?  Bleah!  ASCII art is your department,
> not mine.. :-)
>
> I would far prefer to generate gifs on the fly that represented pie
> charts, colored bar graphs (representing the sizes of your various
> partitions and free space) and such, but the idea of adding a
> generalized rendering API to this whole thing finally brought me up
> short with the realization that it was a whole 'nother engineering
> project unto itself and I should probably just make the existing tools
> work a little nicer before even contemplating such a massive project.

There is another library that will allow you to draw into a giffile.
You can produce an executable that will produce an image of a
disklayout given the proper parameters and then show it on
your page. It also has a reasonable copyright.

gd	http://siva.cshl.org/gd/gd.html

Regards,
Marc.
Marc van Kempen                 BowTie Technology
Email: marc@bowtie.nl            WWW & Databases
tel. +31 40 2 43 20 65
fax. +31 40 2 44 21 86         http://www.bowtie.nl