Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 01:25:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG, Chad Shackley <chad@gaianet.net>
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Jim Dixon wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Veggy Vinny wrote:
>
> > 	We at GaiaNet are currently considering switching from PBI.Net to
> > CRL in a T1 link and are planning to purchase a new router as our current
> > router from WellFleet overloads and has too many probems.  We are
> > considering the Emerging Technologies Router Interface Card for FreeBSD
> > but has anyone compared the performance of this to something like a Cisco
> > 2501?  Thanks for any advice you can offer.
>
> Don't buy a 2501.  You can get a lot more performance for the same
> amount of money using FreeBSD and sync serial cards.

	Yeah, that's what we have been considering.  We are planning to
dedicate a P5-75 with 16MB ram just to use as the router.  What we are
worried about is when the ISP asks us what router we're using, what would
be a good description of this thing?

> We use a variety of sync serial cards.  The ET card is an old design,
> takes up two ISA slots (one for each port), and has other problems.
> The SDL Communications cards (N2d, N2pci) are better hardware.

	Hmmm, ET takes up two ISA slots?  What are the problems with the
ET?

> The problem with the SDL cards is the lack of FreeBSD drivers.  There
> is a driver for the N2d but not for the N2pci.  The ET driver software
> suppports more protocols and some degree of compression.
>
> So generally SDL wins on the hardware side and ET on the software
> side.  We prefer SDL but are not happy with the lack of software
> support.

	Hmmm okay, but is the ET still better than a Cisco?  and does the
SDL cost less or more than the ET?

> --
> Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
> tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015

Vince