Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 08:58:19 +1100 (EST)
From:      Peter Jeremy <Peter.Jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD-R and Scanner recomendations for CD archiving of records?

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998 07:18:23 +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk> wrote:
>In message <Pine.GSO.3.96.980317144022.23331B-100000@p-1>, William Maddox writes:
>>What other medium would you suggest for 5 to 25 year storage?
>Paper-tape, punched cards,
Most current paper contains enough acids to self-destruct over this
time frame.  You'd need to find someone willing to supply paper-tape
or punch cards using archival quality paper.  (And someone willing
to find and maintain the tape/card readers).

> barcode on microfilm ?
If it used a silver base, I'd tend to agree.  I don't know what
current microfilm technology (if it still exists) uses.

>As for CDR living for 30 or 100 years, I'll belive that in 25 or 95 years
>respectively.
I tend to agree.

Another option is to use the current state-of-the art and be prepared
to perform regular maintenance on the data - ie regularly copy it onto
newer media.

Peter