Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 16:13:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD v4.1R on laptops

On Sun, 3 Sep 2000, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> I run 4.1-Stable on my 600E with no problems. But your mileage may vary
> depending on the PCCARD devices you need. 4.1 does not support CardBus
> (32 bit) PCMCIA cards. It works well with my Xircom RealPort card and
> my Adaptec SCSI card.

I might mention a few gotchas.  As Kevin stated, read the pccardd
docs.  However you go about installing the system, snapshot or release,
after you makeworld be sure to rebuild pccardd.  Also read LINT on adding
apm support.  Otherwise you will run into things like shutdown -p not
working.  Pay particular attention to configuring /etc/rc.conf
correctly.  You will also need the kernel option

options         PCIC_RESUME_RESET       # reset after resume

in order for insert and remove to be recognized.  These are just a few
things that I had to sort out.  Hope this helps.

On another front, I have been running stable on my laptop for quite a
while.  Since I am usually connected to the net through a network card
this is not a big problem, but my modem card is not supported.  It is
however in PAO.  Is there an easy way of adding support for the card in
Stable.  I would state the make and model of the card but I don't have it
handy.

Jim