Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 1996 09:32:38 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7=2C_Andrey_Chernov?= <ache@nagual.ru>
To:        davidn@blaze.net.au
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Confused about locale

On Mon, 23 Dec 1996, David Nugent wrote:

> >> Ok. There will be a way of achieving this shortly via login.conf.
> >
> >Not so quick, it will be nice if user can change his preferences
> >easily.
>
> The user can, by overriding the standard environment variables in
> his or her .login or .profile, just as they do now. The only
> thing the lang= and charset= entries in the login class affects
> are the defaults set by login in the user's environment. Editing
> startup files is no more difficult than running, say, chpass et
> al.

Excepting one small thing: command interpreter itself started
with system locale, not user defined one and user can change it
only later (if ever can!).
Shell f.e. understand on-the-fly locale changes
only very recently (my fix).
It is why I insist on locale setting _prior_ to command interpreter
start, i.e. at login stage.

> >> The last part is more difficult. But the field is already there
> >> in "class".
> >
> >What is difficult here? As man says "class" is pointer to termcap-style
> >attributes. Do you mean that they must be unchangeable by user?
>
> Not at all. Only that "class" is a pointer to /many/ parameters
> that (1) set administrative restrictions and (2) sets up the
> *default* login environment for a set of users. For a shell
> account, most of the environment setup remains changeable, just
> as it is now.

Why not use "tc=" modifier to point to default class?
I.e. example entry will looks like:

la=ru_SU.KOI8-R:ch=KOI8-R:tc=def_class

--
Andrey A. Chernov