Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 11:00:47 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   isdn4bsd in freebsd current

As you have no doubt seen, we have imported isdn4bsd into FreeBSD
current.  We still have to get the docs and examples in, but that
will come shortly.

We're not at the point where I think we need the users to take a
more active role.  I've talked with Hellmuth about this, and here
are some of the things we talked about:

*   We need people to test that it works after the import

*   I would like somebody or some group to write a section for the
    handbook on ISDN.

*   We need a i4b FAQ maintainer

*   We need somebody to figure out if the g711 files are bit-flipped.
    Please try out the various tools under ports/audio, and see if
    they can handle the file 'msg.g711a' as a 8bit, 8khz aLaw file.
    If it can't, try to flip the bits around in the file and try
    again.  Flipping bits means that 0x1a should becore 0x58.

*   Somebody should look into a way to use the vastly superior
    "userland-ppp" with i4b, to get multilink PPP capability.

*   Add support for even more hardware.

I think it is important to stress, that while Hellmuth has carried
us this far, we cannot expect, and he has repeatedly asked not to,
be the only one to move things forward from here, so if you think
I4B is important for FreeBSD, it is in your own best interest to
get involved.

Please send patches to Hellmuth as usual, he will make sure they
get integrated into the tree, (my committing role is merely in
helping Hellmuth get through the first hurdle of getting it all
into the tree.)

Please join me in a big thankyou to Hellmuth for this Xmas present
to the FreeBSD project, and lets together make sure that he
doesn't regret it!

Poul-Henning

PS:
If anybody out there are considering tackling a 30B+2D, ie PRI,
I may be able to provide a card which can support that.

"ttyv0" -- What UNIX calls a $20K state-of-the-art, 3D, hi-res color terminal