Date:      Tue, 08 Jun 1999 09:41:35 +0100
From:      Dom Mitchell <Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk>
To:        "Andrew Reilly" <a.reilly@lake.com.au>
Cc:        Ben Rosengart <ben@skunk.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcp_wrapper in contrib and ports?

On 8 June 1999, "Andrew Reilly" proclaimed:
> Maybe 3.x users actually want tcpd too.  I'm running -STABLE, and
> qmail, and discovered that tcp_wrappers was somehow part of the
> system when things started misbehaving.  Oddly, tcpd itself is
> _not_ built by the system, it seems.

This is correct; there is no need for it, as the support for the
wrappers was built directly into inetd.  Check the CVS logs for inetd.

> The libwrap that is built
> (or at least the man page for tcpdchk) seems to think that the
> control files hosts.access and hosts.deny still live in
> /usr/local/etc/, rather than where you would expect a system
> component to put them: /etc.

My tcpdchk doesn't seem to have this problem; then again, I'm running
-CURRENT.  Maybe you have a version left over from the ports?  Try
seeing what order your MANPATH is set or doing "man -d tcpdchk".

> My current source of confusion is with the tcpd from ports,
> which doesn't mention what level it is syslogging at: I can't
> find any of it's log messages...

I find that it's convenient to redirect all logging to a spare VT:

*.*						/dev/ttyv7

That always lets you see what's going on.
--
Dom Mitchell -- Palmer & Harvey McLane -- Unix Systems Administrator

  "Always think very hard before messing with TCP.  And then don't." -- MC
the system manager.