Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 17:55:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      batz <batsy@vapour.net>
To:        Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>
Cc:        lewwid <lewwid@telusplanet.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, Max Mouse <maxmouse@maxmouse.org>
Subject:   Managing port security upgrades (was:Re: PHP 4.1.2)

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Christopher Schulte wrote:

:The ports live on their own cvs island, there is no RELENG_ANYTHING
:associated with them.  The combined tree is maintained separately from the
:source code of the actual Operating System and bundled applications.

I had thought this, but it seemed your answers only came
in the form of corrections, so I thought I would try to get
an answer by postulating the opposite.

:Just cvsup your ports tree daily, you'll pick up the new ports as the
:maintainers fix/add them.  You can then opt to reinstall ports already in
:use on your system.  If it's a new port install, you'll get the newest and
:greatest automatically.  /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade is great for
:keeping track of this kind of thing.

:I hope that sheds some light.
:
:Followups might be appropriate to -questions...

I'm not sure a discussion about streamlining the application of
security patches is as relevant to -questions.

Back to my original post, about whether cvs would be a useful way to
manage security specific information, so that people who just wanted to
fix open vulnerabilities could do so in a way that did not involve
sucking down most of the ports tree if they had not upgraded it in a while.

Has anyone else done anything especially different for managing security
specific patches?

Thankyou for your time Christopher,

--
batz