Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 02:23:32 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Fabrizio Poggi <poggif@casaccia.enea.it>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sis6326

* Fabrizio Poggi <poggif@casaccia.enea.it> [000320 02:13] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've found a courios problem. I have a graphic adapter model Daytona with a
> SiS6326 chip, 4mb, perfect working. With the last Xfree86 (3.3.5 version)
> it gives a rubick-cube problem. During X sessions this adapter don't show
> any charachter (name of icons, menu, xterm, pop-up messages, and so on be
> desplayed as a undefined dark blocks), often (when click on desktop) the
> arrow of mouse become a flat, black square. For having a correct vision
> must launch startx at 24 bpp of depht (the mouse becomes ever a square): in
> this case the chars are perfect.
>
> I've changed all xf86config setting & frequency of refresh (poor my
> monitor), every window manager (kde, gnome..), buy a new serial-standard
> mouse, mounted a RedHat 6.1 (the same, a little more slow). Nothing of
> done. Anyone more expert has the same problem or found a trick of
> configuration? Or maybe is a particular hardware bug in the adapter?
> In console all works good ;) !
>
> thanX in advance; bye bye

The Xfree86 system is maintained by the Xfree86 project, you can find
information about them at http://www.xfree86.org/ since this card
doesn't seem to work on both FreeBSD and Linux it seems to be an
Xfree issue and you ought to take it up with them.

However, Xfree 4.0 was just released, I would try installing that
and see what happens.  It's available in the ports tree afaik and
as binary downloads from the mirrors listed on the Xfree86 site.