Date:      Sat, 10 May 2003 09:08:57 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for Content: FreeBSD/ia64 5.1-RELEASE Hardware Notes

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/

If memory serves me right, Jim Brown wrote:
> * Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net> [2003-05-09 22:01]:
> > On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 08:02:05PM -0400, Jim Brown wrote:
> > >=20

Comments for both Marcel and Jim...thanks for working on this!

> > > 1 Introduction
> >=20
> > It's probably a nice gesture to link to the platform home pages.

I guess we could link directly to the ia64 platform page, rather than
the top-level page for all platforms.

> > > 2 Supported Processors and Motherboards
> >=20
> > Processors:
> > 	Itanium & Itanium 2

Other things users might want to know:

SMP vs. UP?

What types of consoles are supported (e.g. VGA, serial)?

> > Motherboards:=20
> > 	It's probably a good idea to focus on chipset for now:
> > 	chipsets:
> > 		HP zx1 (only on development branch)

"On development branch" means the P4 branch, right?  If so, I'm am
tempted to leave it out of the hardware notes for CVS HEAD, or at
least maybe we should say "Perforce repository".  Is this situation
going to change as a result of your blanket commit approval?

> > 		Intel 460GX
> > 		Intel E8870
> >=20
> > > 3 Supported Devices
> > > 3.1 Disk Controllers
> >=20
> > ATA: Except for the PC chipset embedded ATA controllers, most should
> > work OOTB.

I wish I knew which ones those were, so we could turn them off.

> > SCSI:	LSILogic 1030 Ultra4 is known to work [mpt(4)]
> >=20
> > > 3.8 Serial Interfaces
> >=20
> > Diva Serial [GSP] Multiport UART (development branch only [puc(4)]
> >=20

I may have turned sio(4) by mistake in the original version of this
document.  If so, we should turn it off now.

> > > 3.11 USB Devices
> >=20
> > UHCI and OHCI are supported.

For UCHI and OHCI you can (probably) just turn on that part of the
hardware notes for ia64.

> >  The UHCI on the "BigSur" seems to have
> > a weird hub attached on both ports which generally makes USB unusable
> > I don't think it's specific to ia64.

What's "BigSur"?  Can we maybe put this in the chipset/motherboard
notes?

> > This be it, roughly. Thanks,
> >=20
> > --=20
> >  Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel@xcllnt.net
> >=20
>=20
> Done. =20
>=20
> http://sixshooter.v6.thrupoint.net/ia64/article.html
>=20
> Additional wordsmithing soon.
> Your comments and suggestions are welcome. =20

Thanks guys...this is looking good.

Bruce.

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/--