Date:      Mon, 6 May 1996 00:56:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        Dror Matalon <dror@dnai.com>
Cc:        FREEBSD-ISP-L <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Any inn1.4unoff4 on 2.1R caveats?

On Sun, 5 May 1996, Dror Matalon wrote:

> The following Perl script finds problems in your history files and fixes
> them. THe comments indicate how to use.it. Use at your own risk.

    I ran the fixhist script this afternoon and it didn't find
anything unusual.  I traced the source of the segfault to the NGfind()
routing in ng.c of innd.  It's only a 6-line function that operates on
the newsgroup hash table... I don't see anything in it that would all
of a sudden cause segfaults at least once an hour.  :(

/*
**  Hash a newsgroup and see if we get it.
*/
NEWSGROUP *
NGfind(Name)
    char                        *Name;
{
    register char               *p;
    register int                i;
    register unsigned int       j;
    register NEWSGROUP          **ngp;
    char                        c;
    NGHASH                      *htp;

    /* SUPPRESS 6 *//* Over/underflow from plus expression */
    NGH_HASH(Name, p, j);
    htp = NGH_BUCKET(j);
    for (c = *Name, ngp = htp->Groups, i = htp->Used; --i >= 0; ngp++)
        if (c == ngp[0]->Name[0] && EQ(Name, ngp[0]->Name))
            return ngp[0];
    return NULL;
}

--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.