Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2018 16:28:57 -0500
From:      "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS pool - HEALTH fault

On Wed, November 21, 2018 12:45, Kevin P. Neal wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 09:33:32AM -0500, James B. Byrne via
> freebsd-questions wrote:
>> Immediately following an upgrade from FreeBSD-11.1 to 11.2p4 we
>> received the following warning.  I can see the suggested remedy
>> but I need to know why this has happened first.  We have
>> previously upgraded numerous hosts from FreeBSd-11.1 to 11.2,
>> all of which are using zfs, and no other system has reported
>> such a fault,
>>
>>  ZFS pool - HEALTH fault
>
> This message that says "HEALTH fault" comes from what? What command
> prints this message?

It comes from a regularly scheduled health check script whose relevant
portion is:

condition=$(/sbin/zpool status | egrep -i
'(DEGRADED|FAULTED|OFFLINE|UNAVAIL|REMOVED|FAIL|DESTROYED|corrupt|cannot|unrecover)')
if [ "${condition}" ]; then
        emailSubject="`hostname` - ZFS pool - HEALTH fault"
        problems=1
fi

Given that the status is none of the above I infer that one or more of
the words |corrupt|cannot|unrecover| appeared in whatever message
zpool status emitted.  However, running this command from the command
line produces nothing containing any of the trigger words.

> Because the pool is perfectly healthy. There's nothing wrong.
> The pool was created on an earlier version of FreeBSD before
> some features were implemented. Now that they are supported
> by FreeBSD you can upgrade your pool to use them. But that
> doesn't mean there is anything wrong.
>
> There is no problem here aside from some program not recognizing
> the note that tells you about new features being available.

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3