Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 19:34:19 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Subject:   Re: Weird behaviour in BootEasy

On Tue, May 26, 1998 at 01:45:08PM -0400, Simon Shapiro wrote:

> On 24-May-98 Eivind Eklund wrote:

> > It changes it mind.  After I have pressed 'F5', it reports 1024x64x32,
> > before I've pressed F5 it reports 1024x122x32.  Wonder how I can stop
> > this;
> > the easiest is probably by making BootEasy not write out the press of
> > 'F2'.
> > It isn't a correct fix, though.
>
> I am almost certain you are running on a confused array.  When I built your
> disks, I used dptmgr/fw0.  Then I used the Geometry option in sysinstall to
> arrange the disk in nice, round 1MB ``tracks''.  The geometry you see comes
> from the array re-build (the DPT firmware tries to squeeze as much of the
> disk into BIOS=able geometry as possible.  Somehow the two blocks are
> present and somehow you are reading them both.
>
> Try (if practical) to wipe the disks and run dptmgr/fw0 to create a new
> array.

Not very practical; it's presently housing my homedir, my bootdrive,
and most of my sources.  :-(

The interesting point here is that I _haven't_ re-initialized the
array - I still have the original DOS slice I got from you. I've
concatenated the two slices used to hold the 15 or so BSD paritions to
a single slice with a boot partition, a swap partition, and a lagre
'e' partition for sources + homedir.

I've run dptmgr.com (or something like that) from DOS a couple of
times and re-built one disk, but I've not done anything that should
have changed the basic array.

Eivind.