Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 22:50:49 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Proposed new sysctl MIB nodes

At 6:12 PM -0800 2/24/03, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>On Mon, Feb 24, 2003, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>  > Jason first asked his question on the bsd-api mailing list (which
>>  hopefully has people from all the main BSD's on it).  In a later
>>  message on that mailing list, he replied to a similar question:
>>
>>      >  How about simply having a total memory count in quads
>>      >  instead? That way we won't run out when we pass 2^48
>>      >  or 49th bytes in 10 or 15 years.
>>
>>      Ok, a u_quad (page count) it is.
>
>This isn't really a similar question. On 64-bit machines it's rather
>odd to use a 32-bit entity to hold the amount of memory. The most
>logical step is to make it a 64-bit entity, not to increase the
>granularity.
>
>Also, why a sysctl to get the total amount of memory in the box.
>Isn't getrlimit a much better approach to tune process behaviour?

Well, I was just passing along the comment from the other mailing
list.  I'm not sure what's the best solution for the problem that
Jason is hoping to solve, but I do like the idea that it would be
good if all BSD's provide the same solution, so that people
outside the BSD world can cover all the BSD's with a single change.

Jason is asking on the bsd-api-discuss@wasabisystems.com
mailing list.  I assume people could get onto it by sending
"subscribe bsd-api-discuss" to majordomo@wasabisystems.com