Date:      Tue, 1 Jan 2002 17:54:55 -0500
From:      Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        "Fusion" <jffusion@adelphia.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows

On Tue, 1 Jan 2002 17:30:10 -0500
"Fusion" <jffusion@adelphia.net> wrote:

> Hello
>
> My name is Bill
>
> I just downloaded FreeBSD and I want to install it from CD
> Currently I am running Win2000 using my entire disk (20 gig)
> with no partitions except the primary.
>
> What I need to know is can I use partition magic to to create a new
partion
> and extended drive to use FreeBSD on? or does FreeBSD need to be on the
> Drive? Also will I be able to dual boot with Windows 2000 and FreeBSD?
If so
> how can I configure it and do I need an emulater?

Free BSD does need a primary (or possibly a complete extended partition,
haven't done it that way).  It just needs a primary partition though,
doesn't have to be the first one (or even the first hard disk)  :)

So, assuming PartitionMagic has no trouble with Win2K (I've heard that at
least through version 6, there were some difficulties) shrink that
partition and put another primary partition on the drive and you should be
fine.

As for dual booting--there are various and sundry ways to do it--I use
GRUB, available in the ports collection.  Not sure if BSD's bootloader
will boot 2K on an NTFS partition, but hopefully, someone else will see
this and be able to answer it.  (Or, just get BSD running, then install
GRUB from the ports--for the Win2k you'd have to add the lines
title Windows 2000
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

HTH