Date:      Tue, 21 May 2002 14:56:05 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@regency.nsu.ru>, Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/alpha/alpha clock.c

At 5:21 AM -0700 2002/05/21, Jamie Bowden wrote:

>  How about we just nitpick your grammar instead?  you wouldn't say "I'm
>  sending you an mail," and it's just as inappropriate a usage with
>  reference to electronic mail.
>
>  Somewhere, hiding in this message, is a misspelling or grammatical error,
>  as is customary.

	Nah, here Rahul is actually correct.  You use "an e-mail" or "an
email" either way, because of the a/an issue with the following word
beginning with a consonant vs. a vowel.

	The real problem is when you are referring to something via an
acronym or initialism, and the acronym/initialism sounds like it
begins with a vowel, whereas the actual phrase spelled out begins
with a consonant.  Take "WWW" for example -- is it "an WWW page" or
"a WWW page"?  Clearly, if you were to spell it out, it would be "a
world-wide web page", but how do you deal with the initialism?

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>