Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 1995 14:35:23 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        fadorno@ix.netcom.com (Fred Adorno)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation

Fred Adorno stands accused of saying:

> I have a 540mb drive which is not partitioned.  I am using the whole
> drive under DOS.  I do have 150mb disk space available.  How do I

Ok; the first two actually contradict each other.  Your disk is partitioned,
it just has one partition on it.

> proceed with installation of FreeBSD 2.0.5?  I am new to Unix and I

Firstly; make a backup.  Preferably a full one, but if you don't have the
resources, make sure you're not going to lost anything if you get it
wrong.

Then grab a tool called fips; you'll find it in the 2.0-RELEASE tree under
tools/dos-tools.  Get the distribution archive as well (under the same
directory and read the documentation.)

Use something like Norton's Speed Disk, or the DOS 6 Defrag tool to
fully compress your drive.  You need to do this to move all of the data
to one end of the disk so that you can stick a new partition in.

Run the fips tool and make yourself a partition about 100M or so in
size.

Then follow the 2.0.5 installation instructions & install onto the new
partition.

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[