Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:16:04 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: documenting nonexistent files

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 11:07:59PM -0800, Rich Morin wrote:
> Well, I can certainly agree that the directory needs work, but it
> is quite a reasonable starting point.  Hmmmm; here is my take at
> an updated version of its "README.example" file (ducking :-); the
> directory also needs a slew of "starter" files, which I will take
> on if folks like what I've done so far...

A great start.  I've included some comments below.  I might suggest that
for obsolete files you use the one-character flag and mark them as O or
something in that spot to they are clearly indicated early on.

> A passel of questions came up, BTW (and yes, I _did RTFM :-):
>
>   * Are hosts.{allow, deny, and trusted} and ruserok(3) now part of
>     the same system with hosts.equiv and rlogin(1)?  (I really can't
>     tell from the man pages).

hosts.allow is the tcpd (built into inetd) config file.  hosts.deny is
the depricated deny file for tcpd.  I've never heard of hosts.trusted.
ruserok is part of the r* protocols and thus is related to rlogin.

>   * What is the exact purpose of /etc/localtime?  Who creates it?

file says it's timezone data.  I'm don't know how it's actually used.

>   * Is my characterization of /etc/make.conf.local correct?

No.  If that's still a valid file, it's like rc.conf.local (see below)
in that it's really just a second place to modify the settings that
were made in rc.conf or make.conf.  It's there so you have defaults in
/etc/defaults/blah.conf, site setting in /etc/blah.conf and host settings
in /etc/blah.conf.local.  If your host is your site then you generally
don't use an /etc/blah.conf.local.

>   * Is the saving of these files automated?  If so, why aren't
>     /etc/passwd and other files being saved?

No automated saving of files is done at upgrade to my knowledge.

>   * I found a reference somewhere to pccard.sample, but now I
>     can't seem to locate it (sigh).

It's probably a typo refrencing pccard.conf.sample since according to
CVSWeb, there never was a pccard.sample.

>   * Isn't there a man page for (Open)SSL?

It's openssl(1).  There was a strange thing where it didn't show up the
first time I typed "man openssl" just now, but then I tried "man ssl"
which brought up openssl(1) and after that "man openssl" worked.  Maybe
there's a manpage installation bug here...

> hosts.allow     + defines trusted hosts for ruserok(3) (see hosts_access(5))
> hosts.deny      + defines denied  hosts for ruserok(3) (see hosts_access(5))

These have nothing to do with ruserok(3).  hosts_access is correct.

> netstart        + network startup script run from /etc/rc

This is obsolete (see comments in the file.)

> pccard.conf.sample - sample configuration file for pccardd(8) ???

obsolete.

> pccard_ether    + configuration script for ethernet pccards (see pccardd(8))

It's also used by usb.  It's increasingly misnamed as we get more
interfaces which provide pluggable network devices and need the services
it provides.

> rc.conf.local   - script run by /etc/rc.conf

"local overrides of /etc/rc.conf" is probably more accurate.  It's
definatly not a script (well, it is but there's not assurance that it
will be in the future.)

> rc.local        - startup script; run by /etc/rc

Depricated.  /usr/local/etc/rc.d is the prefered method at the moment.

> start_if.*      2 script, run by /etc/rc

I'm not sure where the 2 above came from.  /etc/start_if.<interface> is
run before ifconfig if <interface>.  I think this is a really stupid way
to accomplish this since it doesn't allow for more then one interface to
use the same script in a way that's obvious and I'd much rather be able
to configure it from rc.conf.  (Yes, I have submitted patches for my
prefered method.  It's at the end of PR:conf/21489 if anyone cares.)

-- Brooks