Date:      Sun, 5 Jul 1998 23:24:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brian O'Shea" <boshea@ricochet.net>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange problem with named as a caching-only name server

That's the answer to my problem!  Thanks.

FYI: I am using the real Internet root name servers in my named.root file,
and I am using NAT to deal with only having one (dynamic) IP address.

-brian

Forwarded message from Matthew Smithshaw

> The IP 10.0.0.2 is (rfc 1918) private.  I Assume you are _not_
> using the Internet root name servers in your named.root file.
>
> If you are (and using NAT or such ilk), you will need to also
> be authorative for the domain 0.0.10.IN-ADDR.ARPA.
>
> Had this problem myself where reverse lookup was not yet in
> place!
>
> At 03:59 05/07/1998 -0700, Brian O'Shea wrote:
> >Hello and greetings.
> >
> >I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.5 with BIND version 8.2 and I am having a little
> >difficulty setting up named as a caching-only name server.  I can't connect
> >to named on my machine when I specify my IP address in /etc/resolv.conf .
> >I don't seem to have this problem when I specify the loopback address in
> >it's place.  I would settle for the loopback address except that I have
> >read that this is a bad idea due to a bug in the BIND code (but I had to
> >try it anyway, just to see what would happen).

     (a lot of stuff cut out here to keep my response short[er]...)

--
Brian O'Shea
boshea@ricochet.net