Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:39:03 -0700
From:      Craig Burgess <craig-burgess@home.net>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Subject:   Re: Alpha Pc164

Matthew Jacob wrote:

> >  The controller is an adaptec 2920. If I do show device from the prompt
> > it only shows my ide cdrom and the floppy device.
> > The system was installed via boot disks then a network install. I
> > upgraded to the most recent console firmware, which unfortunately isn't
> > that recent.
>
> Ah. Right.
>
> SRM doesn't support Adaptec. NetInstal onto an IDE drive or get a Symbios or
> a Qlogic 1040 controller.
>
> -matt

Even that needs to be qualified: although several symbios/ncr
controllers are supported by SRM (bootable), 53C895-based devices
(such as some Tekram controllers) may not be. They may not be
recognized by SRM.

I booted my PC164 from diskette (which loaded the ncr driver) and
installed via FTP to a drive on a Tekram DC390 controller with no
problem -- until the reboot.

It will save future generations countless hours of frustration,
followed by feeling silly, to read the machine-specific information
which is in HARDWARE.TXT (and which I obviously did not study with due
care). It is well written and packed with detailed - and essential -
information.

craig

craig