Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 15:44:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A CDROM based firewall----Which Os do i use?

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Nathan Mace wrote:

> for those of you interested, what OS do you recommend as a good starting
> point for a bootable, CDROM based firewall.  seeing as how this is
> freebsd-chat the obvious choice would be Freebsd.  However seeing as a
> firewall needs to be secure as possible, wouldn't Openbsd make better sense?

Of course, FreeBSD also strives for doing things right. (Are you saying
that FreeBSD can't or isn't secure as possible?)

> or would distributing it as a ISO image violate Theo's copyright?

If your chose to base it on OpenBSD and you developed your own layout
and ISO image, then it would be different. (The FAQ says that only his CD
layout is copyrighted. Your unofficial layout is okay.)

> also there is NetBSD.  it would be nice for this project to support anything
> with a cpu and cdrom.

Well it would be interesting to have a single CD that would boot a ready
to run firewall on several architectures. But I don't think that is really
needed.

> what do you guys think? freebsd rocks, but sometimes there are other choices
> that make more sense.

By the way, there are several CD-based firewalls (some proprietary and
some open source) for all three BSDs.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/