Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:50:23 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Hidetoshi Shimokawa <simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-firewire@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/firewire firewire.cfirewire.hfirewire_phy.h fwohci.c  fwohci_pci.c fwohcireg.h fwohcivar.hiec13213.h iec68113.h if_fwe.c  if_fwevar.h sbp.c ...

> I have several mac's around here, PowerMac G4, PB G4 and Xserve.
> Do you think I can install FreeBSD on an external FireWire
> drive and boot from it?

 Install, absolutely. As for booting directly, I'm not so sure, since I
don't really know the OpenFirmware incantations for doing that. You may have
to boot the kernel over the net, and then tell it to mount the firewire drive
as root.

 I don't know if the XServe will boot: it's worth a try. The others should be OK.

> Is there any document about how to install FreeBSD on Mac?

 There's bits and pieces in the -ppc mail archive: I'll see if I can write
something up.

later,

Peter.