Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 1997 15:55:30 +0100
From:      Alan Judge <Alan.Judge@indigo.ie>
To:        Seppo Kallio <kallio@cc.jyu.fi>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is someone running heavy loaded inn server?

I'm running a large FreeBSD based server.  It's not heavily loaded yet
(two full streaming feeds in and maybe 100 readers at peak times).
Load rarely climbs about 0.3.

Setup: PPro 200, 256MB RAM, 8*4GB Quantum Atlas II Ultra Wide, 3940UW,
SMC EtherPower 10/100.

Software: FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE (cvsuped kernel on 2.2.1 system),
INN-1.5.1, nntplink, newsxd.

All works fine, as far as I can see, but the load is not that high
yet.  We are taking a full feed (around 300K articles/day) without
problems, and the disks are ticking over nicely.

One warning though.  If you are using Adaptec disk controllers, make
sure to get the very latest kernel.  Both 2.2.1-RELEASE and
2.1.7.1-RELEASE have Adaptec problems under load and we had some hangs
and crashes before upgrading.
--
Alan Judge					Phone: +353-1-6046901
Indigo Internet Services			Fax:   +353-1-6046948