Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 17:21:30 +1030
From:      "James" <smokey@adl.ussr.net>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   help please!

Howdy,

I've been getting some help with some online (irc) friends with keeping my
bsd system (that another friend set up for me) running.... and am trying to
do things, like upgrade it slowly but surely :-)

Today I tried to compile perl, and couldn't... so friend suggested doing the
following;

fetch
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-2.2-stable/Latest/227u
pgrade.tgz

pkg_add 227upgrade.tgz

I've done this, and now /usr/ports/perl5 is actually fetching the file....

My question however is, that fetching this 227upgrade... what has that done
to my system, am I now running 2.2.7 ? - (previously system was 2.2.6)

Do I download the kernel source, and recompile a kernel to take advantage of
any new features/bug fixes of 2.2.7 ?

basically, I'm wondering ... what have I done?

regards

james
(curses friends that go idle for long periods after telling you something
:P~)