Date:      Sun, 9 May 1999 23:29:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      media@mail1.nai.net
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   possible stand/install bug in 3.1-STABLE

I'm a newbie, and I apologize if this message is inappropriate for this forum.

Following the advice of the freeBSD-questions list, I installed
3.1-STABLE-1990503 in place of 3.1-RELEASE.  I installed everything over
again from scratch.  When I installed 3.1R, I didn't try to install the src
and xf86333 distributions.  This time I tried, but it didn't work.

I downloaded all new files from
releng3.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/spapshots/i386 and made new floppies.  I am
using a 133 Pentium w/64M RAM with no cd.  I then booted from the floppies
and went to install from my primary DOS partition.

The installer told me "Unable to transfer the scontrib distribution from
wd0s1"  Trying again didn't work.  It then told me the same thing for
sggnu, setc, slib, sgames, sinclude, sliexec, etc.

The installer then gave me the same message for all of the X-files.

I checked the list of distribution files it couldn't transfer or extract
against the contents of C:\FREEBSD\xf86333 and C:\FREEBSD\src  and they are
all there.

When I tried to install these files after the fact the installer crashes.
When I stand/install from root and go to load them I get:

"Unable to transfer the scontrib distribution from wd0s1"

I try again.  It fails again.  I choose "no" to not try again, it moves on
to the next src file, tries, fails, I select "no" again, and boom:

"B
roken Pipe"

I get a root prompt that's blind (I can't see what I'm typing).  I type
"shutdown -h now" and it shuts down.  I reboot it and it seems the same.

I've repeated this several times.  Everytime the same thing happens.  I
have not attempted to modify the OS in any way, or have installed any ports
or packages.

So, I'm thinking this is a bug.

THANX!!

PEACE OUT :)