Date:      Tue, 09 Mar 2004 12:58:19 +1100
From:      Adrian <adrian-ml@connexus.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Best IDE RAID5 solution for FreeBSD 5.2 ?

Hi,

I'm having lots of trouble with 3ware RAID
cards and would like to know what other
people are using..

I basically just need to be able to rebuild
degraded arrays remotely (from FreeBSD) as
I don't always have console access to the
machines and can't power-cycle them.

I have various versions of the 3Ware cards
(mainly 7006).  After a while one of the drives
will degrade.  If I rebuild it, the same drive
just degrades again soon after.   I've replaced
everything from the HD to RAID card, motherboard
and cables - but in the end I have to format the
array and rebuild the machine from scratch but
then after a while it starts doing the same thing..
This is happening on FreeBSD versions 4.8->5.2
and across completely different hardware (though
I've only ever used Maxtor IDE drives).

Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Adrian.