Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 19:10:31 -0400
From:      Alan Clegg <abc@bsdi.com>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: psmintr: out of sync (0080 != 0000). ARGH!

An SMTP stream claimed that Kazutaka YOKOTA muttered:

> As far as I know, this is a hardware glitch often seen with the
> stick-shaped pointing device found on many notebook computers.  The
> stick appears to be generating the "down" signal even when it is
> supposed to be in the "neutral" position.  This is a hardware glitch
> which surfaces from time to time.

I've found that I can trigger this "glitch" by keeping a steady pressure
in any direction on the 'knob'.  After a few seconds, the hardware sees
the constand motion as an offset that needs to be corrected for.  When
you release pressure on the pointer, it moves in the opposite direction
at the same rate of speed.

I actually found myself faking out the hardware out of pure boredom
(see how fast you can get it to go in reverse).

AlanC