Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:28:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tuc <tuc@ttsg.com>
To:        wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AlphaServer 1000 NCR810 Raid help needed

> On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 12:15:56PM -0400, Tuc wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 	I inherited an AlphaServer 1000 that used to run NT 3.51 at one
> > point. I'd like to get it to run FreeBSD. It has an NCR 810 SCSI controller,
> > and claims from what I can see that there is a 6 disk RAID-5 and its broke,
> > and 1 JBOD... There are only 4 disks in the case. Trying to figure out how
> > to make it just one big RAID. I tried ARC, and didn't see anything there for
> > it, and tried "run bios" and that does nothing.
>
> Hm, if it had RAID it probably has a KZPSC aka Mylex RAID card.
>
> Please post the output of
>
> SHOW CONF
> SHOW DEVICES
>
> from the SRM (>>> prompt)

I have to type it by hand, so I'll only include the 2 I think matter:

PCI Bus

	Bus 00	Slot 06: NCR	810 Scsi Controller
					pka0.7.0.6.0	SCSI Bus ID 7
					dka400.4.0.6.0	RRD45
					mka200.2.0.6.0	TLZ07

	Bus 00	Slot 13: DAC960	Scsi Raid Controller
					dra.0.0.13.0

and for the SHOW DEVICE (No S)

dka400.4.0.6.0	DKA400			RRD45  	1645
dra0.0.0.13.0	DRA0		6 Member RAID 5	Failed
dra1.0.0.13.0	DRA1		1 Member JBOD
dva0.0.0.0.1	DVA0
mka200.2.0.6.0	MKA200			TLZ07	553B
ewa0.0.0.11.0	EWA0		00-00-F8-22-34-F8
pka0.7.0.6.0	PKA0		SCSI Bus ID 7

I did boot the system, and it DMESG's a mlxd0 (Raid 5/Offline) and
mlxd1 (Raid 7/Online).

I tried to install on mlxd1 since thats the single disk. The
mlx0 message says to use 2.42 or later, mine is 2.36-0-00. How do
I upgrade?

Alt+F2 says it was scanning the disk, then

mlxd1: reading primary partition table: error reading fsbn 0

	Where do I go from here? I'd LIKE to make the whole thing
1 big RAID-5 and install on that...

		Thanks, Tuc/TTSG Internet Services, Inc.